Back in the 1880’s and 1890’s there was a bicycle “craze” all around the World, and Halifax was no exception! There was a bicycle club; the “Halifax Ramblers” that cycled on high wheelers and pneumatic safeties. Many rides commenced at the Public Gardens on Spring Garden Road and went to Point Pleasant Park for evening rides, or perhaps to “Princes Lodge”, on the shores of Bedford basin which served as their club house. Swimming and lobster boils in a very social atmosphere was the order of the day. Yes, the “wheel” was the great equalizer as this served both males and females alike. This was an era which predated the automobile; many clubs had a military appearance, complete with uniforms, buglers and flag bearers! The Ramblers numbered well in the hundreds. The “wheel” was the rage; there were over 100 hotels in NS, as well as the railway that offered discounts to secure business. Cyclists opened up touring in NS.
In the HRM, there are wonderful bicycle clubs covering many areas of cycling. There are distance clubs, racing clubs for both road and mountain bike disciplines, touring club, MS Bike ride training groups, as well as a number of fitness clubs that use cycling as a component. As a group, we would estimate the above would represent less than 20% of all the people who own a bicycle. What about the other 80%?